Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Golden Showers Of Praise

Oscar noms are in, for those who care. No surprises to speak of (at least, not in the four "major" categories. William Hurt getting nominated for A History Of Violence? Okay, that's surprising.)

Best Picture
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night, And Good Luck
Munich


Best Director
Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain
Bennett Miller - Capote
Paul Haggis - Crash
George Clooney - Good Night, And Good Night
Steven Spielberg - Munich

Best Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk The Line
David Strathairn - Good Night, And Good Luck

Best Actress
Judi Dench - Mrs Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman - Transamerica
Keira Knightley - Pride & Prejudice
Charlize Theron - North Country
Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line


You can read the rest of them HERE.

6 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

*Crickets.*

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Ben MirĂ³ said...

As far as I'm concerned Oscar chatter is 2nd to Box Office chatter as the dullest aspects of film discourse.

I think the most interesting thing is Star Wars getting shut out (deservedly). To quote Dana Ashbrook in Waxwork..."That's gotta hurt!"

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger MMorse said...

Deservedly?

Sure, the movie's no "Empire," but surely the effects (and the advances in effects those films have pioneered) deserve a nomination, at least?

As much as I liked the Matrix (much, much more than Phantom Menace), I think it was a joke that PM lost to the Matrix in the effects category.

And while the Oscars matter not one whit to me, anymore, they're like the Superbowl. It's part of the national dialogue.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Yeah I think that one of the SW prequels should have gotten something, but a BP or any acting awards... no.

I don't watch or really pay attention to any awards shows any more. I did when I was a kid.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Ben MirĂ³ said...

As incredibly vivid and detailed as ROTS' f/x are...they are astonishingly inert. Lifeless might be the better term. I have no idea about the criteria something like this is weighed against...but you look at KONG and see all that emotion rendered by mere pixels. The f/x are really serving the story and the performances.

Not even close, sirs.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger MMorse said...

That's a good point, Kat, but if I'm being honest, I enjoyed ROTS a HELL of a lot more than I enjoyed Kong.

The more distance I've put between me and Jackson's film, the more I realize just how flat it fell for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home