Friday, March 17, 2006

Wowsers

Over in Oregon, "conservative" columnist Adele Ferguson recently opined - via op/ed column - that black people should be grateful for slavery, because it brought them to the Land Of Opportunity.

Ms. Ferguson's article is head-spinningly ill-concieved. Here are a few of the choicest cuts:

One of these days before I die, I hope to see a shift in the attitudes of so many of my black brothers and sisters in this great country we share...


Judging by her picture, I assume Ms. Ferguson uses "brothers and sisters" in the non-literal sense.

The pony hidden in slavery is the fact that it was the ticket to America for black people. I have long urged blacks to consider their presence here as the work of God, who wanted to bring them to this raw, new country and used slavery to achieve it. A harsh life, to be sure, but many immigrants suffered hardships and indignations as indentured servants. Their descendants rose above it. You don’t hear them bemoaning their forebears’ life the way some blacks can’t rise above the fact theirs were slaves.

Just....Wow. Take a moment to read that again.

Wow.

And as if that weren't enough, Ms. Ferguson takes the foot she's so expertly wedged in her mouth and deepthroats it:

Blacks have no Cesar Chavez.

I suppose, if you don't count Frederick Douglass, WEB Dubois, Nat Turner, Martin Luthor King, Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, or countless other human instruments of social and political change, then Ms. Ferguson is right.

The ultimate irony in Ms. Ferguson's use of Chavez's name is that Cesar organized the United Farm Workers, a Union of noted strength. That she deploys him in an article condemning the Teachers Union just further underlines that she has absolutely no idea what she's talking about.

While I fully support the right of free speech, the Kitsap Peninsula Business Journal appears not to share that opinion. They've yanked her piece from their website, though it's handily available HERE in pdf format for those of you running low on crazy-fuel.

(heads-up courtesy of oliverwillis)

9 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

All full up on crazy fuel in NC, what with that Muslim who tried to run down a bunch of UNC students in retaliation for what the US is doing. And that isn't so much crazy as the fact that some papers are saying that he isn't a terrorist and it wasn't an attack.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Welcome back, my possibly soon-to-be Hawaiian friend. If you move out there before September, my lady and I can visit you guys on our Honeymoon. Although, if it's all the same to you, we may take a substantial portion of that time to be "alone."

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Scott-
Wow. Names aside, I think it's pretty clear that the Muslim in question buys his crazy-fuel in Premium Unleaded. I hope the students are alright?

Nizz-
Why would I want to interfere with the sacred rite of the Honeymoon?

If (and its a BIG if) I were to end up out there, y'all are welcome in my lil' grass hut whenever the mood suits you. One thing's for sure - I fell in love with the place.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

From what I understand, falling in love with those islands are easy to do. [Note: I am not falling in love with the amount of money I have to shell out on those islands.]

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

If you'd like help setting things up, I'd be happy to do so. I have connections on Oahu and Maui, and no small amount of knowledge on some pretty amazing things to do.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Thank you, my friend. Much appreciated. Actually, I've been directed by former Honeymooners to do the Big Island and Kauai. So, I've essentially been peer pressured into doing some ridiculously overpriced insanity at the Four Seasons Big Island. They called last week to find out what initials we want for our monogrammed robes. Let me repeat the last part: Our monogrammed robes. If I have any money left after this trip, I may be inclined to join you on your move...

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Considering the jobs I'm weighing, joining me might be potentially lucrative for you, both financially and psychologically.

Monogrammed robes? Good God, man. I know you like the fancy stuff, but...monogrammed robes??

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

In fairness to myself, it wasn't really what I signed up for and I was more surprised than anyone by the request.

They must have gotten a hold of my conservative credentials and immediately ordered a top hat and a coat with tails.

"Winston, my good sir, have you seen the accommodations in steerage? I would not let my hunting dogs down there if you fetched me a bottle of Dalmore '62 Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky."

"Hmmph. I should say not, Mortimer."

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

None of the students were killed thankfully.

Nizz, sounds like a first rate way to go honeymoon wise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home