Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Triumphal Return of the Non-Platonic Philosopher Kings


When I was but a young lad, attending Trinity College in Hartford Connecticut, I used to love to drive over to our local Borders by myself at odd hours of the day or night for some alone time. I'd spend an hour or two just picking through the bookshelves, listening to cd's at the listening stations, and taking chances on the music and literature that spoke to me.

Of all the wonderful music that those hours introduced me to, the band I'm most grateful to have discovered was The Philosopher Kings. It's terribly hard to describe their sound. The nearest I think I can come to it is to ask you to imagine how the Red Hot Chili Peppers would sound if they recorded a cool-as-coltrane Jazz album.

Since their last album the band has been concentrating on side projects, including the producing duties on Nelly ("I'm like a Bird") Furtado's first album. But on November 15th, we're getting a new Kings album, Castles, and in my excitement over that prospect I urge you to try out some of their musica.

Over at Amazon you can listen to clips of their eponymous cd. I recommend the acoustic ache of "Ain't No Woman Around," the rainy-night swirl of their Bob Dylan cover "Just like a Woman," or the rattle-n-funk, crash-n-clatter of "Turn my head Around."

I hope you enjoy. Is there a simple pleasure more savory than the discovery of music that gets under your skin?

I think not.

(philosopherkings.com)

2 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Blogger cakeeating said...

Hi there, I was searching for some blogs to read, and yours came up and I noticed you were an alum of Trinity College. What year? I just graduated in 2005 and have recently moved to NYC to make a life for myself. I love a lot of your past posts and will definitely keep reading. Thanks for giving me something to do at 1:30 in the morning.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Hey, cake eater. Thanks for coming by and welcome to New York City.

I'm an old man, I'm afraid. I graduated in 1998. While there, I played a year of football for Coach Miller, did a lot of theater (which, I see from your blog, you've an interest in) with Gerry Moshell, sang a bit with the Accidentals, spent some time in Cleo, and generally had the time of my life.

I appreciate the kind words, and I hope you come back an contribute your thoughts. It's an open forum for discussion here, and all I ask is that you observe the golden rule.

-Matt Morse

 

Post a Comment

<< Home