Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Everyday Heroes


Some things in life are worth celebrating. Some are big things, like new jobs, or a first kiss, or being asked to be Best Man at your friend's wedding.

Some are small things, like Rescue Rick, the Grass Cut Man.

In September 2003, I had a serious lawn mower accident, resulting in the partial amputation of my left foot...Consequently, I want to create awareness regarding the frequency and severity of lawn mower accidents. I am the only yard safety advocate acting as an individual in the world. Indeed, I am the first yard safety super hero in the history of the world.


I am ashamed to say that, at first, I thought Rescue Rick might be an ironically created site. It is with great pleasure that I report Rescue Rick and his singular mission to be, apparently, quite sincere.

You may understand my initial skepticism if you visit his site, which is chock-a-block with such rough-hewn gems as:

I want to find a cure for yard accidents, in particular grass cut accidents. I believe that the solution partially rests in the analysis of human behavior via cognitive psychology, etc. Nonetheless, we all need to improve.

or this...
It is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Dr. King was a promoter of non-violent social change. Like Dr. King, I believe in servant leadership; I have a dream also. In particular, I want to rescue people from experiencing yard accidents. Yard accidents do not discriminate.

or this...
Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man (sm) seeks to adopt a faithful sidekick � a three-legged dog amputee who survived a lawn mower accident. The doggy will be called Tripod the Dog (sm). Tripod (sm) has a big brother named the Trilateral Commissioner (sm).
If Rescue Rick is a satirist, then he is an obsessive, near-frighteningly-committed one. If he is sincere, then he is more than a little loco en la cabeza. Still, his message is an admirable one. Keep on keeping on, Rescue Rick!

Support Rick's miniature crusade by purchasing his merchandise, which includes a woman's pink t-shirt bearing Rick's horribly mangled, amputated foot.

Of such stuff is work procrastination made of.


(courtesy of acilublog)

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

You should know that my step-father had a similar lawn mower incident when he was growing up. He nearly lost his big toe, and the nail on that toe is still slightly deformed to this day. Although Rescue Rick, the Grass Cut Man, inspires sympathy for such an incident, I've always used it as a means of ridicule when all other means have failed. And also, thanks for the oblique shout out in para. 1. Lots of love.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Your bachelor party will be a thing of legend, my friend. Make no mistake. There will be medieval sonnets composed on the bacchanalian madness which will spring forth on that day like so much Athena from yon Zeus' proud head.

Like Grendel, Lucifer Morningstar, or the famed travelers of Canterbury your name will be sung by troubadours for all eternity.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

"You left out one of the chief characters, CodeMorse the Brave. I want to hear more about him. The Freet wouldn’t have got far without Morse."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home