Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Kansas Redefines Science

From a March, 2005 article on MSNBC:

Advocates of "intelligent design" are pushing the board to reject a definition limiting science to natural explanations for what's observed in the world.Instead, they want to define it as "a systematic method of continuing investigation," without specifying what kind of answer is being sought.

Today on MSNBC:

TOPEKA, Kan. - Risking the kind of nationwide ridicule it faced six years ago, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public-school science standards Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution....In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena. (emphasis mine)

They rewrote the definition of SCIENCE.
Heaven help us.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

My wife and I were talking about this at dinner last night. She was pleased as punch about it. I was sick to my stomach. The discussion of religious origins as part of the school curriculum is fine in a class on religion, but has no place in a biology or earth science class.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

I'd like to understand your wife's position, Cap. I mean that with utter sincerity.

WHY is this a good idea? I invite you to have your wife come by and post her opinion. She'll be treated with respect, and she might help me "get" her position.

As it stands, I think the whole thing is terribly misguided and, most importantly, harmful to our children's education.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

I don't "get" her position either. I'd be glad to point her this way but we don't have this fancy internet thingy at home.

Well maybe I can try.

She believes that science has an anti-god agenda. That scientists (darwinian scientists) want to disprove god for some reason. Maybe because in her worldview if you don't believe in god then you're free to do as you like. And scientists (she doesn't think science or scientists are bad in and of themselves) are "afraid" to admit that there is something out there they can't explain.

She pretty much what you might think of when you think of someone who loves Charles Dobson, George Bush, hates the public schools and welfare. She is a Republican's Republican and when I asked her why she would vote for a man who was so obviously using his "religion" to garner votes she basically said that all she cared about was that he was "Pro-life" (oh and she supports the death penalty, yet believes that abortion is always evil).

I tell you that I love this woman dearly, but there are some things we don't see eye to eye on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home