Saturday, May 06, 2006

You Will Believe A Movie Won't Suck



Something fun and pointless to do is to divide the world into opposing camps of fans.

You're either a fan of Ginger, or you're a fan of Maryanne. You're either a Lakers fan, or you're a Celtics fan (are there Celtics fans, still?). You're either a fan of Batman, or you're a fan of Superman.

Me? Superman. Always Superman.

It's not that Batman isn't cool. In fact I think most people, myself included, would argue that Batman is far "cooler." He's got the car, the women, the black formal wear, and the Bondian gadgets to prove it.

Superman? He's got...well...tights. No car, one woman (who's pretty, but maddeningly elusive and not at all like the slinky Playmates that Wayne gets to party with), no gadgets, and bright red underwear he wears on the outside of said-tights.

No contest.

But I never wanted to be Batman. Not as a youngster, running around in my underoos. Not as a teen, gorged on comic books and movies. Not as an adult, facing the world in all its ugly beauty.

For me, Batman represents humanity at it's worst. A man responding to tragedy by shutting off everything and everyone around him and throwing the law out the window in pursuit of vengeance. For me, Superman represents us at our best. Orphaned and alone - cut off from everything he knows and everyone like himself - yet still determined to do right. To do Good.

Because at the end of the day, I believe the world is a hopeful place. I believe in man's innate goodness. Despite much evidence to the contrary, I believe this to my core.

And that's the heart of Superman. That's why I still own a bright blue shirt with an enormous red S on it. That's why you'll find no bats in my wardrobe (though some may argue, plenty in my bellfry). That's why Superman (and, to a lesser extent, Capitan Americano) moves me. I want to make this world better than when I entered it. I don't want to spend my nights fighting an ever-rising, never-ebbing tide of villany, ala Bats. I want to spend my days trying my hardest to do the right thing, to set an example through word and action to all around me, and to never lose sight of the fact that what makes this country great will always outweigh what makes this country terrible, as long as the people can set aside what makes us different, respecting life and how we choose to live it. As long as we believe in Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

And now, the point of this post - AICN has posted an officially-verified review of Superman Returns. I haven't read it. I don't want to know about the plot beforehand, and the review is SPOILER INTENSIVE. But it's apparently a very positive review, and I'd like to give people an opportunity to read it if they're so inclined.

Up, Up, And Awaaaay.

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Ben Miro said...

That review was anything but positive.

The floor just fell out of the basement of hope.

Batman was way cooler, you geek.

;)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Haven't read it, so I wouldn't know. But the AICN guy who posted it said it was supposed to be positive...

And yes, Batman was cooler, you nerd. :)

But Superman floats my socks - always has.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Batman is much cooler, but everything you said about Supes is true. At the end of the day I'm a bigger "fan" of Bats, but Spidey rules my superhero world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home