Thursday, September 14, 2006

Filmic Frenzy!

Posted by codemorse

Here's some of the latest and greatest film news and info from around the web:

The Fake Life is reporting that Jonathan Mostow (Terminator 3, U-571, Breakdown) will be directing the Sub-Mariner film for Marvel studios. I could care less about the Sub-Mariner, but I happen to like Mostow quite a bit. As the author of this article jokes (?), Mostow's largely held responsible for "killing" the Terminator franchise, but I thought his work on T3 was surprisingly forceful and very natural. If there's a director who can get me excited about an Aquaman rip-off with lil' wings on his feet, Mostow's it.

You can read an extensive interview with Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, The Frighteners) about his upcoming fantasy project as well as his long-percolating adaptaion of the Lovely Bones here and here. It's in two parts, and it's interesting stuff.

Over at Chud.com, the new Apocalypto trailer is up. Come to terms with the fact that artists throughout history have been cantankerous, racist, sexist, stupid, and still brilliant - then watch the trailer and admit that, yea, that looks pretty interesting.

The Silver Surfer rears his chrome-dome in the Fantastic Four sequel, and AICN has a report on how they're going to bring the Philosopher of the Spaceways to life. It sounds...weird.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Thanks for the nod. I think that they should do it in WWII, but then everything was more B&W then as far as comics go at least.

I love the look of the Apocalypto trailer (although I keep wanting to spell it Apocalyptus, go fig). We posted it too, but CHUD no doubt got it first.

Regarding the Surfer the news is indeed...weird and a bit suspect imo. Of course I love how folks go on about how bad the Thing makeup was. How can you POSSIBLY take these movies that seriously? Thing is a big orange rock guy from Brooklyn who frequently wears a trenchcaot and hate to conceal himself. I'm thinking that like one poster over there said that they'll at least do CGI touchup in post.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

No problem - as I've said before (I think) I'm reading you folks more than the other sites these days. You've yet to devolve into a morass of "funny" irony and mean-spirited "debate" about films.

And I like that.

But I don't want to concentrate solely on one site when I post tidbits, because then I might as well just say "go read today's news at the fake life," which we're doing in our sidebar :)

I think the Apocalypto trailer looks tres cool. It's possible, as Devin notes, that the movie will look great but be semi-bad (as Passion of the Christ was), but that's a risk I'm more than willing to take.

I can understand people getting worked up about the Thing, if only because he's probably a lot of peoples' favorite character. If Ratner had decided to go with the Beast's new Disney-lite look, I might have thrown a few internet conniption fits.

But I get you - it's a comic book movie, not a cure for cancer. Lighten up, people. And weird as the methodology for creating t he Surfer sounds, it does make a certain amount of sense (if it's true at all). If you're going to hire Doug Jones to play the part, you should use him to the fullest extent possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home