Monday, August 07, 2006

Computing Bareback...

posted by Scott Roche

Charlie White over at Gizmodo has quite a bit to say about antiviruses. He says that they're fraudulent, unnecessary, and even harmful. Putting his money where his mouth is, he says that he hasn't run an anti-virus program on his machine in years. Sounds pretty brave, no?

No. Actually if you follow his advice you'll be pretty safe.
  1. Don't open ANY attachments unless you know 100% where they came from and what they are.

  2. Don't use Internet Explorer, it's full of security holes. Try Firefox or Opera.
  3. Don't use Outlook. He recommends Eudora. Thunderbird is also good.


In a corporate environment your e-mail server scans things as they come in and go out, so why have one on your desktop? My company spends countless man hours patching and updating and I'm sure yours does too. Oftentimes these updates are too little too late. There's also typically a very serious hit on system resources like memory adn processor usage. It makes that brand new machine run like a moped instead of that righteous Ducati. Does that mean that these programs should be done away with? No.

They do have their use. In a business environment or any place else that you have a bunch of users, you can't make sure that they do what they're supposed to. If you have kids at home you aren't going to be able to enforce the no attachment rule very easily. And kids today lurve their file sharing.

If you're going to have one installed, I say get one that's free. I use AVG on my system. It doesn't bog me down and gives me a little peace of mind. Above all, make sure that you set your program to update the virus definition files automatically. These files come from the software manufacturer and tell the program what to look for.

2 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Great post. I'm downloading Opera now.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

When Opera first came out it was GREAT. The whole download fit on a floppy adn no other browser I knew of at the time used tabs. I use FF at home and one of these days I'm gonna convert to Thunderbird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home