Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Solid My Brutha...

posted by Scott Roche

In light of yesterday's tech post (gotta think of some flashy name for that) I thought I would touch on the future of the hard drive. Now predicting the future is always tricky, especially with technology. I'm no Nostradamus, I don't read tea leaves, and the only animals I sacrifice and burn are the ones involved in Saturday afternoon cookouts, but I shall endeavor to peer through the murk and give you one possibility.

They are called solid state disks (SSD). Rather than magnetic platters which have been the standard for about fifty years, they use either SDRAM or Flash based memory. Both use far less power and are faster than their elderly cousin. SDRAM (related to the RAM in your PC right now) is volatile which means when the power goes, so goes the data. That's not good for data unless you have a disk to back it up to. And then you'd have to have a battery backup. I think Flash memory is a better option. It's not volatile like SDRAM, but at this point it has a lower write failure rate (it goes bad quicker).

Both are far more expensive per gig than traditional hard drives and have size limitations. That won't be the case for much longer though. Right now there's actually a laptop from Samsung that uses a Flash based SSD. By their accounts it's lighter, quieter, and depending on what you're doing it's 25-300% faster. It will also be able to display pictures, video, and play music without actually needing to boot up into an OS. On the flipside it's veeeery expensive and can only hold 32 gigs of data.

This is definitely bleeding edge stuff and God knows what may be just around the bend. I do know one thing for certain though, just about the time technology gets really cheap and into everyone's hands, manufacturers will come out with something horrendously expensive that you just have to have.

4 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Loving these. I can feel my brain growing as I read them.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Yeah, I know nothing about this.

I do remember someone telling me that there was something about the hard drive that would have to change because with the increased speed and power, the computer was getting too hot. Temperature wise. So, there was this new thing coming out that was faster and didn't get hot.

And that, my friends is my worthless addition to the cause.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Glad I can bring something on board. Today may be late or non existent as I am not in the office and will be on the road quite a bit. I might be able to post at lunch if I hit a Wi-fi spot or post from home tonight.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Don't sweat it, Scott. Do what you can, when you can. These posts are definately bringing something different and extra to the site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home