Thursday, June 01, 2006

Fifa Fi Fo Fum

I used to think Soccer was for sissies.

Keep in mind, I was a younger man back then. All full of piss and vinegar and Mountain Dew. Also, I've always been more of an American Football fan. My father played when he was young, in high school and college, and I followed in his footsteps. I love the gridiron, and it was something of a joke between myself and my friends at school that I was the only American Football player among a group of Soccer players.

But my attitude changed completely when Jabs, our mutual friend Sebby and I travelled to Europe in the summer of 1998. We spent just under two months backpacking around during the full-on frenzied orgy of World Cup fever, and I learned that Soccer isn't for sissies at all - it's fookin' amazin'.

You have not lived until you've stood in a bar in Barcelona - packed literally beyond capacity - screaming away your voice as grown men and women cry and buy you beers and share their life stories as their favorite team wins gloriously/fails utterly.

We were there in Nice, France for the Cup's final game - sitting in the middle of the city drinking wine out of bottles and puffing stogies as four story television screens broadcast France's victory and Nice erupted into the sort of celebration that makes Times Square at New Year's look like a garden party.

Ah, memories.

The Cup returns this summer, and I'll be haunting NYC bars at 2 in the morning to catch the matches. I'll be sporting my Barthez jersey with pride (even though the man himself seems to have fallen on hard times, he'll always be the guy who truly hooked me on the sport). Feel free to tap me on the shoulder. I'll buy you a drink. In between screaming sessions, of course.

They've been running ads for the World Cup pretty regularly, and the "Sick Days" spot is pretty brilliant. You can check it out HERE - just click the "Sick Days" tab at the bottom of the screen.

Now, everyone: Ole, ole, ole, ole...Ole...Ole...

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

KOREA!!!! KOREA!!!! KOREA!!!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Hell, YES!

Denmark better checkity-check itself, before it wriggety-wrecks itself!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Charlie Brigden said...

Ah, football. The MAN's sport...

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Ah, Manwich.

It's the MAN'S sandwich.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home