Friday, June 09, 2006

The Cup Of Life


It begins today.

I've got two horses in this race - neither of which is destined to make it to the end. But that's just fine by me.

I'll be rooting for the US, which is fielding it's "Best Team Ever," according to all reports. If ever the US needed some positivity on the world stage, it's right now. Soccer is an unlikely but powerful instrument to bring some of that positivity to the people who hate us all indiscriminately.



And I'll be rooting for Togo, playing in it's first-ever World Cup. The country has essentially called a truce on civil war because they made it to the games. Is there a better example of how the "little" things in life can surmount violence?

Let's go, USA!

Let's go, Togo!

5 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

How can you betray our South Korean brothers like that by going with Togo? Did they not give us a flag and a hat, and clean up our seats and prevent the dirty Belgians from making the next round in the 1998 World Cup?

Zut Alors!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

I will always love South Korea.

They are my brethren, and will be fondly remembered for their cleanliness, their charity, and their awesome language.

Less fondly remembered is the tear-gassing we experienced in the subways afterward. Remember that?

My Tivo's set to record South Korea's matches - those dirty Belgians best check themself 'fore they...well, you know.

But any country that'll drop their civil war to cheer on their team together leaps to the top of my charts.

And what's with the French-speak? You aren't going all "Blue State" on me, are you? :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

I appreciate the humanitarian issue regarding Togo. And of course I remember the tear gassing. Remind me never to join in a violent protest. Not blue stater, just had a flashback moment regarding our time in le France.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

I've been having flashbacks regularly, recently.

Specifically of you and S. coaching me on the fine points of the Cup as I blinked, bewildered, and tried to wrap my gridiron-trained brain around them.

Good times... :)

Donde esta la internet cafe? *twiddles fingers*

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Unfortunate correction:

It's the Ivory Coast that's suspended their Civil War for the Cup. Togo, cool as it probably is, seems largely civil-war free.

Which is great for them, but makes me look kind of like an idiot.

So...GO IVORY COAST! Don't let one loss keep you down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home