Friday, May 19, 2006

Lions and Hitlers and Zoroastrian-Haters, Oh My.

From the National Post:

Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the
Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims....


....Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of
cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth.



As a Christian, concerned for religious freedom and about discrimination, I can't help but be deeply disturbed by this news. Now, more than ever, it is important to remember that tolerance is a goal to be worked toward and achieved. All religions are persecuted religions - dependent upon where you are, geographically. No one religion holds all the answers. If that were truly the case, we'd only need one religion. When we lose sight of this, people die.

Actions like these are going to form a significant portion of the argument for war with Iran. As someone who believes that decades of diplomacy and policy have worked for good reasons, I'd hate to see us engage Iran without good reason. And by good reason, I mean one great goddamn reason. Actions like these make the possibility of my support for that swellingly-inevitable conflict more certain. It's my personal prayer that the people of Iran can be reached and spoken with in a manner that makes that conflict unnecessary.

War begets war - and war centered around religion is the most uncertain and most bloody of all. May we all act in wisdom and in compassion; in the spirit of the God we all ostensibly worship. With peace in our hearts and with the outstretched hand, not the closed fist.

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Well, for my part, I hope your prayers are answered.

But frankly, if anyone had told me while I was growing up that I would live to see people forced to sew pieces of colored cloth on their clothing to identify themselves as from a particular religious group, I would never have believed it.

I don't know how much hate and intollerance we are willing to tolerate, but I just hope it's less than I expect.

I am hoping this is some sort of hoax. In fact, I'm guessing it must be. Yellow strips of cloth? The same yellow strips the Nazis used? A society cannot be that vile and repulsive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home