Wednesday, March 22, 2006

No More Kings

Since the mid-eighties, the American voting ballot has contained either a Bush, a Clinton, or both.

This pattern of monopoly appears ready to continue, as rumors circulate that Hillary Clinton is gearing up for the 2008 race, and that Jeb Bush is being groomed for the near-future as well.

No matter your politics, I find it hard to believe that anyone not currently holding power thinks that this is a good idea.

It's the democratic version of "Royalty," and it needs to stop.

When we're growing up, we're often told that anyone can grow up to be the President of the United States. For a long time it's been a running-joke that "anyone" means "white, male, anglo-saxon Protestants." That's bad enough. These days, the new joke is that "anyone" means a Bush or a Clinton.

Only, those jokes aren't funny to me. Giving us a "choice" between two families that have traded power for the past twenty-or-so years is giving us no choice at all.

4 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Especially considering the amoral individuals in question.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Seriously.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

It's funny, but I can't find a solitary female in my life (although they are admittedly fewer since I got engaged), that isn't intrigued in some way by a possible Hillary presidency.

While I would shed no tears for an end to the Bush/Clinton dynasties, I can't find in my soul the rank hatred of Hillary that some of my fellow conservatives have.

Meanwhile, I could even get myself pumped about a Morse Presidency (mostly because of the White House visits), even if you lacking any "diverse" qualities as a "white, male, anglo-saxon Protestant."

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

I can guarantee I'd liven the place up. Though I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate the blisteringly-loud rock music blaring from the Lincoln bedroom at three in the morning.

Giant Statue of Lincoln: "KEEP IT DOWN IN THERE!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home