They Know What's Best For You (You Stinking Baby-Killer)
From CBS News:
South Dakota moved closer to imposing some of the strictest limits on abortion in the nation, as the state Senate approved legislation that would ban it except when a woman's life is in danger.
The bill, designed to wage a national legal fight about the legality of abortion, passed 23-12 Wednesday. It next returns to the state House, which has passed a different version.
The measure would make South Dakota the first state to ban abortion in nearly all circumstances. Doctors would face up to five years in prison for performing abortions unless a woman needed one to save her life.
The hope of the bill's supporters, reports Jodi Schwan of CBS affiliate KELO-TV, is that the U.S. Supreme Court will be more receptive if the case gets that far.
"They feel with the changing makeup of the Supreme Court that it is perhaps a time to start challenging Roe v. Wade, and they think especially with the addition of Alito and Roberts to the court that those are justices who would vote in their favor," says Schwan.
Opponents of the measure say abortion should at least be allowed in cases involving rape, incest and a threat to a woman's health, they said. Senators rejected proposed changes that would have created exceptions in those cases. They also declined to put the proposed ban before voters in the November election.
That's funny, I thought this was a democracy.
I fully support a woman's right to choose, despite finding abortion personally repugnant. That the proponents of this Bill refused to carve out exceptions for rape and incest makes me shake my head in disgust. It further proves that, while the life of unborn children may be of concern to these people, the lives of adults are considerably less important.
Pro-life means pro-LIFE, not Pro-cute-lil'-babies.

8 Comments:
"That's funny, I thought this was a democracy."
Well it's a representative democracy. We don't get to vote on everything.
"I fully support a woman's right to choose"
Under any circumstance?
"Pro-life means pro-LIFE, not Pro-cute-lil'-babies."
And so who's saying it doesn't?
BTW your bias is showing. ;-)
Well, if we're going to talk Pro-Life meaning Pro-Life, I've always found it funny that so many of those in the media who call themselves 'Pro-Life' support, among other things, capital punishment and the war in Iraq.
Just my experience
Cap-
Well it's a representative democracy. We don't get to vote on everything.
Even in a representative democracy, shouldn't we vote on matters that directly affect the health, well-being, and individual rights of half of our society?
Under any circumstance?
As I wrote, I don't personally think abortion is a route that one should use as a form of birth control. But Rape? Incest? Age? Aren't those bare-minimum understandable reasons for not wanting to keep a child?
If my sister were raped, got pregnant, and wanted to have an abortion, I wouldn't stand in her way. Why? Because it wasn't her choice to be impregnated. The same is largely true of incest. And at a certain age (for argument's sake, lets say 16), giving birth shouldn't have to be a requirement.
"Pro-life means pro-LIFE, not Pro-cute-lil'-babies."
And so who's saying it doesn't?
These Senators are saying that it doesn't. They've denied petitions to extend allowable abortions to people who've been raped. What about the lives of those women? Shouldn't we be concerned about them, too?
Didn't realize my bias was so obvious. :) (zips fly)
Well, if we're going to talk Pro-Life meaning Pro-Life, I've always found it funny that so many of those in the media who call themselves 'Pro-Life' support, among other things, capital punishment and the war in Iraq.
I've actually commented on this before, Bud. The President recently declared a "National Respect For Human Life" day. Which, if you go by the beliefs and actions of the sorts of people you talk about, means "National Respect For Unborn Life."
I agree that there are people who are "Pro-life" and also pro death penalty, but we aren't all like that (and I hope that more over, most of us aren't though I have no proof). And I myself have problems with this label since I am both pro-life and pro-choice. I just think that the choice should be limited. I don't think that a fifteen year old should be able to have an abortion without parental consent. I'm a fence sitter when it comes to rape as a "reason" for an abortion. It's almost liek the baby is being punished for something it didn't do.
Part of me thinks that some use the triumvirate of rape/age/incest as emotional blackmail to keep abortion more broadly available. How many abortions are carried out for these reasons vs. for birth control.
Anyway, this is an interesting article, an even handed look at an abortion clinic.
don't think that a fifteen year old should be able to have an abortion without parental consent.
Well, sure. I'm against that too. You shouldn't assume that I'm attacking Pro-lifers here, Cap. As I've said, I'm personally against abortion, myself.
I'm a fence sitter when it comes to rape as a "reason" for an abortion. It's almost liek the baby is being punished for something it didn't do.
Err, I guess so. If you completely ignore the woman who's been raped.
Part of me thinks that some use the triumvirate of rape/age/incest as emotional blackmail to keep abortion more broadly available. How many abortions are carried out for these reasons vs. for birth control.
I'm going to cry foul on this one, because it's emotional blackmail of the same, if not higher, caliber to talk about "murdering" unborn children for birth control (you don't say this, but its a common attack).
I don't want women aborting babies everywhere because they feel like it. But I don't want you (nice a guy as you obviously are) or any other man telling my mother, my sister, or my friends what to do with their pregnancy. ESPECIALLY when its an unwanted, ill-gotten pregnancy.
I don't think it's appropriate for a group of men and women to decide for an entire state what they can or can't do with their bodies and their futures. If the state itself votes and tosses abortion, then the people have spoken, and all I can do then is roll my eyes.
"If you completely ignore the woman who's been raped."
My point though is that you can't ignore either life. Yes I suppose you have to decide whose life "counts" more. The difference is that the woman doesn't technically "lose" hers.
"the same, if not higher, caliber to talk about "murdering" unborn children for birth control "
True, true. Using language like "murder" is most foul. Especially when I don't think any mother is trying to be malicious towards the baby in her decision.
And you and I agree (it seems) that this should be a state's decision.
Post a Comment
<< Home