Portraits In Rage IV
I tend to be pretty down on Republicans 'round these parts. Some people have taken this to mean that I'm an unapologetic "lefty," and that's somewhat understandable - but I'm no Party man.
Political parties tend to discourage free thinking. They encourage group-think, and emotion over intellect. In our stagnating system, being "Republican" or "Democrat" is the equivalent of being a Yankees or a Red Sox fan. The allegiance encourages bewildering animosity, drives deep emotional barriers between people who otherwise might get along, and offers about the same amount of control and influence over how things are run. Namely, none.
So, "Why Mommy Is A Democrat" makes me vomit in my mouth a little. A "children's book" designed to teach your tots that Democrats are better than Republicans, "Why Mommy Is A Democrat" is the most loathesome example of blind-partisanship I've seen in a long time.

Notice that "mommy" is keeping her children safe from an elephant. Just a little further up the road from the "dangerous" pachyderm is someone who looks like a child molester/drug dealer/homeless person.
It would take a blind, retarded person not to understand the "Subliminal" message of this cutesy lil' pastel-n'-fuzzy-animal tableau. Let's not even get into the supremely icky notion of equating the Democratic Party with "mommy."
Is this what we've come to? Do Democrats feel so utterly disenfranchised that they've begun indoctrinating their children into their "faith" through picture books and creepy psychological conditioning?
Apparently so. Just listen to these testimonials!

Erin White-Johnson, I fear for your children. Are "REAL moral values" attributable to any one Party? Sure. In the movies. But in real life, moral values are something independent from political ideology. Or, I'd argue, they should be.

What message is that, Debbie Brennan? That you're attempting to cement your child's party allegiance around the same time that they're discovering colors, shapes, and the joy of poo?
I'm blown away by this, and it joins Codemorse's Portraits In Rage because this sort of passive-aggressive propaganda is worse than suggesting you "Annoy A Liberal" (although that pisses me off something fierce). I'd go so far as to label it grotesque. That's a word that's lost some power, but it's a good word. A serious word. And I believe that it applies here.
If you're teaching your children that the Democratic Party, or any Party, should be trusted and loved "just like mommy," then you are teaching your children the direct, polar opposite of "REAL moral values." You are teaching them blind loyalty. You are teaching them to be sheep.
And sheep get sheared. And eaten. Usually by wolves (who, if Chuck Jones is to be believed, punch a clock like every other average joe).
Teach your children to think for themselves. Authoritarian cultists are scary, but this....this is fucking frightening.

2 Comments:
I saw your diary on KOS! Was that your first?
My second, actually. Thanks for noticing, dude.
I'm enjoying seeing the responses to my poll. Funny stuff.
Post a Comment
<< Home