Monday, January 09, 2006

Musings On Cathode-Induced Madness

I've never fallen in love with a television show before.

Sure, I've liked a few. "Lost" immediately comes to mind. As does the X-Files, which was a constant college companion. But both of those shows, good as they are/were, were just television shows. Entertaining, incredibly well-built shows, but just television shows. I own the "Lost" first season boxset and I've watched its episodes exactly once through since they originally aired. Despite an interest-level that compelled me into the theaters for its feature film debut, I don't own any old X-Files episodes, and I really don't plan to.

I sort of like this about myself. But thanks to "Firefly," I have what amounts to a ridiculous obsession with a television show that was cancelled midway through its first season. God help me, I think I understand Trekkies now.

Not that I run around dressed up like a "Browncoat" (a strangely virulent, near-off-putting group of individuals whose love for the show veers between charming and scary) or anything like that. I'm not that guy. Apparently, however, I am a guy who rewatches the fistful of collected episodes like a twitching junkie with a big-ass monkey on his back. It's disconcerting.

Not even the very, very satisfying feature film "Serenity" can knock that unruly ape offa my shoulders. It should be enough - "Serenity" puts a cap on the show's primary storyline and offers dramatic, satisfying resolutions to each character's well-drawn story arcs - but it ain't.

So Empire's new interview with Mssr. Whedon, creator of "Firefly/Serenity" (along with some show about a Vampire Slayer. Also one about an Angel that isn't doing much Touching of anyone) gives me absurdly sad amounts of hope for the continuing future of the show that I fell so freakin' hard for.

From Empire:

"A sequel's unlikely," Whedon told Empire with a note of clear regret, "but it's amazing what permutations of something can happen." But if not a theatrical encore, that leaves... yes, you guessed it, a possible return to the smaller screen. "As long as I was able to service the characters with integrity and had enough money so that I wasn't hampered, then I would love to return Serenity to TV. I love that universe; it continues and those characters live on. There could be a series, there could be a miniseries, there could be all sorts of things. I'm not ruling anything out. I'll let it simmer for a while and see if anyone calls."

Someone call the man, stat. I need more. And I'm not alone. "Firefly" has been at the top of Amazon's sales rankings for months now, and the film, while lining no one's pockets in gold bullion, is at the top of a surprising number of critics' "Best of 2005" lists. With DVD sales now a monetary force eclipsing Box Office revenue and helping to revive the cancelled "Family Guy," my own version of Cathode-Crack deserves another shot. And another. Now excuse me while I beat myself for sounding like such an utter, uber-nerd.

8 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

I'm with you. A guy I know lent me the DVD set for the TV series and I'm deeply sad that this failed. I was not a fan of Whedon before, but this is what a good western or good scifi is. I hope it comes back in some way.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

It's nice to know that my obsession isn't wholly without merit. It's really an astounding show - from the casting (I've never seen a better ensemble, and that includes the excellent cast of Lost) to the stories to the dialogue - and I'm hoping for a miniseries at the very least.

I'm so pathetic I'd settle for novelizations - the ultimate in fanboy over-worship :)

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Wow that is bad. The only novelization I'd read would be the Shepherd's background. He's easilly the coolest holy man on the tube since Father Mulcahey.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Agreed. Book's my second favorite character in the series, and I'm dying to know what he was up to pre-preacher.

I should amend my previous comment to state that I'd settle for novelizations centering around Book's past, the war between the Alliance and the Independents (which could very well BE Book's past), and anything involving Jayne, who's the funniest character I've seen in ages.

I never claimed to be cool. I just pretend and hope that no one notices the truth.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Oerwinde said...

Right now I'm torn. I'm not sure if Firefly or Battlestar Galactica(new one) is the best show to grace television. So far I'm leaning towards Firefly, but Battlestar has had more time to prove itself.

Anyway, you asked how I tracked my site's stats. Go to www.statcounter.com, thats what I use.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

If it were as well written as the series I'd buy them. Too much to hope for though.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

I know. A friend got me the dark horse mini-series this summer as a post-Bar present, and the writing was nothing close to the show.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Thanks for the info, Oerwinde. It's appreciated. I've heard phenomenal things about "Battlestar," and will probably be picking it up in the near-future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home