Saturday, January 07, 2006

Brokeback Weigh-In

Saw "Brokeback Mountain" this weekend, and I'm disinclined to give it a long review.

Essentially, I liked it. It's well-shot, well-acted, and well written. The music is spare and fitting. It's not great. It's kind of slow, actually. It's notable mostly for being one of the first "mainstream" movies to confront homosexuality head-on.

Ultimately, I don't have that much to say on ol' "Brokeback."

Except this: Gay sex looks horrible. Wow. You think you're a worldly, tolerant person and then Heath Ledger starts barebackin' on Jake Gyllenhooly and you suddenly realize that, while you firmly support the right of gay folk to be together, you never, EVER, want to see them go at it again.

Ever.

This epiphany somehow excludes lipstick lesbianism, which I will continue to enjoy in cinematic form. Sorry, Heath and Jake. Denise and Naomi are just...well...hotter than you.

13 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

At the risk of sounding juvenile:

Ugghhh...gross!!!

You've just lost the producers of Brokeback Mountain their $10.00. No way I'm seeing that movie now.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Then consider my review a boon to you, sir. I've spared you an uncomfortable night out at the movies. You may repay me in:

a) Buffalo wings
b) Jack Daniels
c) the music of "Rent is too damn high"
d) all of the above.

But I should say, in fairness to the film, that you don't ever actually see anything too dagnasty. It's fairly chaste. It just doesn't look like fun AT ALL.

It's not really your kinda film. Wasn't really mine either. But it is well-crafted.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

You will be repaid in: d) all of the above. There may be additional wings involved, since you really can't get enough for $10.

I know, I've sort of been avoiding the film. I'm sure it's well acted. And I'm sure it's a great love story and all it's been touted. But I feel like I'd be shaking in the corner, "fluffy bunnies...fluffy bunnies...."

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Homophobes. ;-)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Yes, I fear the homosexual. I've taken to wearing iron underwear in case any of them sneak up on me. ;-)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Iron underwear will weigh you down, man.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

That reminds me of an Onion article. If you don't know which one I'll see if I can find it.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

No idea what the article is, Cap. Feel free to post it up.

And my iron underwear isn't nearly as cumbersome as my concrete skull.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Here.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

That is AWESOME.

"I've got nothing against homosexuals. Let them be free to do their gay thing in peace, I say. But when they start sucking my cock, I've got a real problem."

High-sterical.

Thanks for the link.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

I read it and thought of you! ;-)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Since I haven't seen it I thought I'd opine on what some Christians are saying about this. Let me know what you think.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home