Thursday, January 05, 2006

No-Fly For You! Come Back One Year!

The Revenge of Bush's Brain:

This week last year I was preparing for a trip to Ohio to conduct interviews and research for a new book I was writing. My airline tickets had been purchased on line and the morning of departure I went to the Internet to print out my boarding pass. I got a message that said, "Not Allowed."

"I'm sorry, sir," [an employee] said. "There seems to be a problem. You've been placed on the No Fly Watch List."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm afraid there isn't much more that I can tell you," she explained. "It's just the list that's maintained by TSA to check for people who might have terrorist connections."

I have been on the No Fly Watch List for a year. I will never be told the official reason. No one ever is. You cannot sue to get the information. Nothing I have done has moved me any closer to getting off the list. There were 35,000 Americans in that database last year. According to a European government that screens hundreds of thousands of American travelers every year, the list they have been given to work from has since grown to 80,000.


James Moore is the author of "Bush's Brain," a book that publicized Karl Rove's role in the Bush presidency. I assume, given the tone of his post, that said book was none-too-flattering,

Perhaps, due to the immense, inefficient beast that is the government, Mr. Moore's name was simply inadverdently placed on the list. Or, perhaps Mr. Moore has been interviewing and researching in areas that the government regards with suspicion.

Or perhaps he pissed the wrong people off.

I like his attitude, though. It's pretty sunny, considering. Flying is already such a mind-numbing, time-consuming hassle even without the added figurative-cherry-on-the-inconvenient-sundae of being on the No-Fly list. I'd be far more ornery.

2 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Steve O'Keefe said...

There is a tasty excerpt from James Moore's new book, "Rove Exposed" on the Democrats.com Blog. It's about the infamous campaign for chair of the College Republicans involving Karl Rove, George Bush Sr., and Lee Atwater that earned Rove a reputation for dirty tricks. Maybe that excerpt is helping keep Moore grounded?

STEVE O'KEEFE

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Thanks for the info, Steve. Much appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home