Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Death To The Infidels!

As much as commentators on the "right" decry the criticism and the "attacks" of the "left" I've noticed that they have no problem with criticism and "attack" when it suits their purposes.

And I've also noticed something else, something which will probably earn me the scorn of frequent comment-contributer "Nizzle," but something both distinctive and worth noting nevertheless.

While criticism on both sides of the political divide have included such tactics as sarcasm, derision and outright-mockery, it seems to be a hallmark of self-described "right" thinking commentators to include promises and/or threats of physical violence.

Where some kook "leftists" have made some pretty outrageous statements over the years (such as comparing Bush to Hitler, for instance), most of them appear to have steered clear of calling down death from the heavens upon the heads of their enemies.

From Newsmax:

Michael Reagan, son of the late President Ronald Reagan, is blasting Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean for declaring that the U.S. won't be able to win the war in Iraq, saying Dean ought to be "hung for treason."

"Howard Dean should be arrested and hung for treason or put in a hole until the end of the Iraq war!" Reagan told his Radio America audience on Monday.

This charming communique joins a colorful assortment of angry/scary comments by self-described "right" thinkers. A few highlights:

"Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests....They've got a big target on there, ATF. Don't shoot at that, because they've got a vest on underneath that. Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of bitches."
-G. Gordon Liddy

"Oh, you're one of the sodomites....You should only get AIDS and die, you pig. How's that? Why don't you see if you can sue me, you pig. You got nothing better than to put me down, you piece of garbage. You have got nothing to do today, go eat a sausage and choke on it."
-Michael Savage
"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."
-Ann Coulter

Ugly stuff. I reiterate: I am NOT claiming that the folks on AirAmerica and other "liberal" outlets are above petty, meanspirited raging. It's the invocation of physical violence that intrigues/disturbs me here. Is this indicative of the type of personality drawn to the "commentator" profession? Or is it specific to the far-right end of the political picket fence?

As always, feel free to point me toward any quotes advocating similar violence from the self-described commentators of the "left." I'm not interested in kook call-ins to radio shows, or the overheard comments of idiot civilians, though. Just the big guns.

5 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Oh common, tell me you haven't dremed about Hannity getting shanked one day. ;-)

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

You rightly assumed that you would get a swift rebuke from me.

For one, if you want the "big guns," I would hardly start with Michael Reagan, or Michael Savage.

Second, if we assume, for the purpose of this argument (and I am not willing to make such an assumption), that the "right" is more willing to advocate violence, it appears to me that the "left" as loosely defined as the "right," is more willing to apologize for the violence done to innocents for purportedly "just" causes.

For example, Ward Churchill (who is as much of a "big gun" of the left as Michael Reagan or Michael Savage is of the right) explained that the September 11th attacks were justified because those working in the World Trade Center were the equivalent of "little Eichmanns."

[Note: Adolph Eichmann was the "Transportation Administrator" for the Nazis put in charge of trains to carry Jews to the death camps in Poland]

Or perhaps a Florida Democratic Club that actually advertised the following:

"And then there's Rumsfeld who said of Iraq, 'We have our good days and our bad days' ... We should put this S.O.B. up against the wall and say 'This is one of our bad days,' and pull the trigger."

Advocating violence? Mmm...maybe not.

Frankly, I do not think taking two, three or four comments and extrapolating across an entire ideological spectrum is particularly reliable. And that's probably why.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Nevertheless, here's a little holiday treat, because I love you all:

They lyrics from the hit song, "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat."

It's no, "Rent is Too Damn High," but it's pretty sweet.

This is the song that I'm gonna rap about
It's called that "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat (I Will Slim Down)"
This is the song that is reminding me that I'm fixing to lose weight and go on a strict diet

The first time when I got fat, I was eating those fatty hamburgers, fries, and all that
That's why I'm gonna do something about it right now
And this is the song that I just wrote about "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat (I Will Slim Down)"
So here it goes right now

Before I got fat, I was slim
That was this time when I was eating McDonalds
I kept eating McDonald's for five years from 1987
To 1991
That's when I became fat; a year later, I'm doing something about it

I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down

I've been trying to lose weight
But it's time-taking
It's been time-taking, but I'm fixing to stay away from Wendys, Burger King, and McDonalds, plus White Castles
That's what I'm going to do, and that's that

I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down

I'm getting tired of eating McDonalds
That's the same as I'm tired of eating Wendys, Burger King, White Castle, and other places
Let me tell you when and how I'm losing weight

I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down

From now on, I'm staying away from fatty foods
And eating healthy foods
And going on a strict diet

I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I will slim down
I'm sorry that I got fat
I will slim down
Thank you

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Welcome back, Nizz. The hallowed halls of Codemorse have missed you.

And now, clarifications:

Saying Ward Churchill is "as much of a big gun of the left as Michael Reagan or Michael Savage is of the right" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Michael Reagan has a nationally syndicated radio program heard on over 200 stations across the country.

Michael Savage has written three NY Times bestsellers and hosts "the Savage Nation," a radio program favored by (according to the Savage Nation site) ten million listeners each week.

Ward Churchill was a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado. His books, and most specifically, his essay on 9-11, may be controversial but commercially speaking, he's small fish.

In fact, if not for Bill O'Reilly's highly publicized outrage over his essay we might never have heard about "little Eichmanns," much less about Churchill himself.

Don't think for a moment that I'm defending Churchill's words, but Churchill is most definately NOT a "big gun" in the same vein. He's a historically outspoken and largely ignored academic presence.

Savage and Reagan are talk radio personalities - and wildly successful ones, at that. And the St. Petersburg Democratic Club is miles away from the topic at hand, which is conservative/liberal commentators.

How many comments would you like? Because I've posted two, three, or four for the sake of brevity and not for the lack of material.

Changing the focus of the argument does not change the existence of the sort of comments that have been made by SELF-described conservative commentators (please note that I do not label them as such - they do).

I don't think that rolling your eyes and dismissing a line of thought as ludicrous does anybody on either side of the fence any good. Read my post again and you'll see (I hope) that I've taken care NOT to make generalizations, but rather, to point out a tendency that seems (and I've even helpfully highlighted that portion of the post) to be a hallmark of self-described conservatives.

I've asked for instances of similar behavior from self-appointed figureheads on the left precisely because, as my post states pretty clearly, I'm not sure if this is a "Conservative" thing, or a talk radio/commentator personality thing.

Ward Churchill does not qualify, and neither does the St. Petersburg DC. Comparing those two to Savage or Reagan is like comparing the popularity of indie-rock outfit "Marah" to the popularity of Kenny Chesney.

And I whupped Batman's ass, by the way.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

So much to say. So little time, so I'll only say this for now, and save the rest for later:

There was no eye-rolling.

A large sigh, perhaps.

Maybe an exaggerated yawn even.

But definitely no eye-rolling.

Girls do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home