Thursday, August 10, 2006

Call And Response

Posted by codemorse

Over at RedState.com, some enterprising soul has posted the following so-funny-I-forgot-to-laugh graphic:






The problem with stuff like this is that it easily cuts both ways, as evidenced by this graphic - created specifically in response to RedState:






How is it possible to deal with the War on Global Whateverism (Is it extremism now? I believe it is) when our own citizenry uses these kinds of rage-invoking, simplistic, horribly unfunny tactics to taunt and wedgie the opposition?

The short answer is that it's not possible.

More than the politicians in Washington, I hold our general populace responsible for the rift between "red" and "blue" these days. We've played right into the hands of those who are actively seeking to divide us for political or personal gain.

Those who engage in this sort of thing may consider themselves to be satirists of some stripe, and a case can be made for that, I suppose. But this isn't satire to me - it's sandbox-style "Yo' Momma" talk, and it's sort of pathetic.

Perhaps those RedStaters who will inevitably be offended by the second picture should ask themselves why they feel the need to resort to petty stupidity in order to advance their opinion. Perhaps those Blue Staters who feel the need to respond to juvenile behavior with the same should ask themselves if they are doing themselves or their liberal brethren any favors by agreeing to enter into the sort of exchange that belongs in the Monkey House of the Bronx Zoo, not in politics.

9 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Hattie said...

The wingbats are out of touch with the public, as Lamott's victory shows; Connecticut is a microcosm of the U.S.: all classes, all races.
Where I live, I have never experienced local activism on the scale that's going on now. Ordinary people are running for office. Even though most don't have a chance of winning, they are opening up discussion. What everyone says, left and right, is that the war must stop and we have to do something about poverty.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

I thought we were moonbats or maybe wingnuts?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Kudos to Hattie for proving an Einstein hypothesis correct in a mere paragraph:

Res Ipsa Loquitur

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

I lose track.

i still think that "Libtard" is the best/worst descriptive term I've heard yet for myself.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Kudos to Hattie for proving an Einstein hypothesis correct in a mere paragraph:

Res Ipsa Loquitur


What speaks for itself? Einstein hypothesis?

Mongo confused.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Morse, if I tell you what I'm saying, I'll lose my ability to claim plausible deniability.

Meanwhile, I'm making my NCAA 2007 team.

What team do you want to be on? I'm assuming still Defensive Tackle?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Middle Linebacker, bro.

I'm STILL angry about being one tackle away from the all-star squad in high school. Help me dream vicariously through your Madden Madness.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

What team?

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

The one you're Quarterbacking, of course. You can't go into battle without a General you trust.

Just make sure to give him a bum knee, a problem with authority, and a tackling style that drives fear into the heart of the peasant-folk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home