Friday, May 26, 2006

X-Tremely X-Cited



X3 opens today.

So far, reviews have been predictably mixed. Most inexplicably to me, many critics seem to be focusing on changes that the filmmakers made from comic to screen.

This seems fairly unjust, considering that both prior X films played haphazardly with character and continuity. Rogue isn't anything like she is in the comics, really. All of X2 was a cinematic remix/reworking/retelling of Chris Claremont's "God Loves, Man Kills" graphic novel - a classic of the artform if ever there was one, so I'm not sure why mucking about with the details of Dark Phoenix (especially when the original tale includes aliens, other worlds, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't fit thematically with the films in the series) is a big deal.

None of the reviews matter, of course. There's a 90% chance I'm going to be in love with this movie, sight-unseen. Go and catch X3 this weekend, and come back on Monday morning, when Codemorse will be hosting its first-ever "Dissect-a-thon." We'll review the film, talk honestly about the good and the bad, discuss the perils of franchise filmmaking (along with the rarely discussed joys of franchise as well), and generally stir things up.

I've been waiting twenty-something-years to see my favorite super hero on the silver screen; come back Monday to discover whether my soul was crushed by the limitations of movie makeup and wire work, or whether Kelsey Grammer's interpretation of Hank McCoy made me weep for joy like the Super Sized nerd I am.

5 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

That's x-actly how I feel. I think if we x-amine the x-films we will find that they are x-ellent x-amples of x-istential x-hibitionism without x-ception.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

x-actly what are you trying to do to me? x-ecute me with x-tremely x-cessive X's?

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

You're right. That's not very x-tian of me.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Ben Miro said...

I am 99.99999& certain Morse dug this.

I did too. X and Magneto made the film for me. Good summer fun.

On my 2nd screening I saw a couple of the X-Statix.

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Your prognosticationary abilities amaze, Katanga.

Dug it, I did.

Review up Monday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home