Animated Discussion
There's been some snickering on the 'net lately over the "conservative" comic-strip, Day by Day, written and illustrated by Chris Muir. Apparently, Mr. Muir did a strip this week where a black man complained about how, even at Mrs. King's funeral, the Democrats were attempting to divide us.
Here's the cartoon:

The problem? Mr. Muir is white.
Now, there's a certain irony in a white, conservative cartoonist using a fictional black conservative character to voice this. Most of that irony comes from the fact that there aren't many black conservatives who aren't cartoons who have agreed with what Muir says.
But I think I'd agree with Muir's underlying point, "conservative" or not. A funeral shouldn't be a vehicle for your gripes against the administration. Attempting to politicize Mrs. King after her death, whether its for the purposes of the right or the left, is in poor taste.
And I have to admit, I like this cartoon:

Our biggest problem right now isn't any one ideology. It's an inability to meet or talk to people with differing beliefs without yelling at them for it. We're all guilty of this, and its hurting our country. One of my best friends used to comment on this page daily, until the sheer fact of my liberalism drove him away.
We shouldn't be at each other's throats. We should be finding common ground. We're all in this together, and no matter how much we hope and wish, we aren't going to magically make everyone think just like us.

4 Comments:
So Nizzle isn't posting because you're too liberal? (I'm assuming it's him you're referring to.) That's a shame.
Yeah, that's my impression. Or, perhaps, because he feels like he's trying to walk against the wind.
Which is really sad. I enjoyed hearing from him here, and I thought (I really did) that I had been pretty good about not calling him a right-wing flunkie, or insulting him.
Ah, well. Such is the climate in this country right now. And its that inability to simply listen to each other that really drives me up the fuckin' wall.
Have you talked to him?
Yup, we remain excellent friends. He's just moved, and I'm in Bar-prep mode, so it's been a little nutty.
But about the blog? No. I think he's just opted to stop posting. I respect his decision, but I regret it.
Post a Comment
<< Home