Tuesday, December 20, 2005

MTArrrrrrggggghhh

It's 7:35 on a chilly Tuesday morning, and the city's lookin' like a ghost town (with apologies to Garth Brooks).

As of 3 am, the Metropolitan Transit Authority's workers went on strike - effectively crippling Manhattan's public transportation system and creating the kind of early-morning havoc we haven't seen since the early 80's (not counting, of course, a certain September morn a few years back).

I'm a general supporter of unions. Despite their omnipresence and their power, they continue to be necessary. But this strike seems ill-advised, given that the MTA's higher-up's acquiesced to all but one of the workers's demands.

If you're out there in Manhattan, you have my sympathies. The next days are going to be a bitch. If you're outside of Manhattan, count yourself lucky not to be dependant on an elaborate public transportation system.

1 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Ever the vanguard of the proleteriat, we can at least agree on this.

I actually don't generally take the mass transit, because I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to work. But as an observer, this is is just ridiculous. I feel bad for those who need the buses and subways.

I think Eddie Gonclaves, a doorman who was trying to get home from his overnight shift, said it best, "I think they should all get fired."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home