Thursday, November 17, 2005

That's The Sound Of The Men Workin' On The Cheney Gang

From MSNBC:

In the sharpest White House attack yet on critics of the Iraq war, Vice President Dick Cheney said on Wednesday that accusations the Bush administration manipulated intelligence to justify the war were a “dishonest and reprehensible” political ploy.

Cheney called Democrats “opportunists” who were peddling “cynical and pernicious falsehoods” to gain political advantage while U.S. soldiers died in Iraq.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Cheney was “playing politics like he’s in the middle of a presidential campaign.”

“I would urge the members of the Bush administration to stop trying to resurrect their political standing by lashing out at their critics,” he said. “Instead, they need to focus on the job at hand, giving our troops a strategy for success in Iraq.”


Two thoughts:

First, Reid is "playing politics" here. Pot, this is the kettle. You're black. Even the intelligence supplied to the dems by the administration was full of holes and easily countered by solid fact. That's why people like myself were against the war from the get-go. If you were misled, prove it. Otherwise, accept that you bowed under pressure and voted for something you didn't believe in, and start working to clean up the mess you helped to make.

Second, the administration should stop being so defensive and start putting together some sensible schedules. It's ridiculous that they sent our troops in as under-prepared as they did. Their post-invasion plans were, even at the outset, overly optimistic. Stop complaining about the guy throwing spit-balls in the back of the class and DO SOMETHING.

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Frankly, I may be so out of the liberal loop that the first paragraph did not make sense to me.

Is the fact that Reid is "playing politics" a good thing? Or is it just to acknowledge that both sides are "playing politics"?

Did the dems get their intelligence from the administration or from the intelligence services themselves?

When you say, if you were "misled, prove it," to whom are you referring?

Are you suggesting that the dems are claiming to be misled because they did not believe in the war, and not because they were actually misled?

Is there some reason to believe that the dems did not believe in the war at the time? Have changed their minds since? And similarly, is there some reason to believe that some do not still believe in the propriety of the attack, even if it was poorly carried out?

Just trying to flush out the points.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Oh, and by the first paragraph, I mean, your first paragraph.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Hey, brother.

I've got no time to write a lengthy response at the moment, so I'll make this brief, with apologies and the promise to fill you in on the liberal loop later.

My two basic points:
1) Reid complains of playing politics, but he and other Dems are engaging in precisely the same behavior in reverse. It's the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak. That's silly to me. Additionally, I think it is a little disengenuous (sp?) for Reid, et al, to be complaining about being "misled" into war when the facts available to us prior to it (war) made it very clear that Saddam did not pose the threat that the administration claimed. Despite this, many dems voted to give Bush the power to invade (or "liberate," I suppose) Iraq. Bitching about it after the fact because the American people are starting to get pissed seems kind of petty.

2) Instead of acting wounded, Cheney and CO. should be focusing their attention where it belongs: on the problems at hand.

Basically, both sides are acting kind of silly. I consider myself independent, despite what my political leanings are supposed to "Make" me, and I think the dems need to either SHOW us that they were misled or admit that they went along with Bush because it was the politically smart thing to do at the time and focus on the problems at hand.

There's a lot of issues that we the people need dealt with. This bickering doesn't solve any of those issues. It just makes both parties into sniping grandmas.

Oh yea...And I'm seeing Harry Potter today. I'll have a review up later.

Oh yea, part II: I'd love to see you this weekend. Let me know your plans.

All those other questions, while interesting and answerable, are sort of beyond the scope of my initial post, though I'm happy to answer them

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Looks like I wrote a lengthy response anyway. I'm a wordy mofo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home