The Bouncin' Blue Beast!
Aint it Cool News is reporting on the new mutants joining the X-Men's ranks this time around.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19662
How do I express my unbridled excitement at hearing that Hank McCoy, the Beast, is going to be suiting up for this installment without sounding like a pathetic drooling fan-boy?
If someone knows, let me know. These random outbursts are getting embarrassing.
As a young kid, the Beast was my favorite super-hero. He had the whole "noble guy trapped in a monstrous form" thing going on, he had what I still consider to be one of the niftiest and most realistic of super-powers, and he was a genius to boot.
I credit comic books for my life-long love of literature, and I credit the Beast for getting me curious about words like pugilistic and loquacious.
Can't wait to see who they go with. I'll go ahead and nominate the Rock, Mr .Dwayne Johnson. He's funny, well-spoken, a capable dramatic actor, and totally lacking in vanity. He'd never do it, and we'll end up with a Cirque Du Soliel guy in a suit speaking in the voice of Kelsey Grammer/Lawrence Fishburne, but do I care?

5 Comments:
The Rock is a good choice, and it would follow the series' pattern of casting familiar, yet unconventional actors in the roles.
I think Brendan Fraiser could also do a bang-up job.
Hey, everyone's got an opinion. I respect yours, Oerwinde. Ideally, I think they should go with the guy who played him in X2. I'd always rather see a guy with no baggage whatsoever (ie: Hugh Jackman, Aaron Stamford, the kid who plays ice-man) than have another Halle Berry type casting.
As for the female Angel thing, it makes me think they're going with the female angel character from Morrison's run.
Which is actually even more disappointing to me than changing the character's sex. I hated the whole concept of her, top to bottom.
But it confuses me as to why they'd change the character, when there are so many other female Xmen to choose from?
And you know, bud, much as I never would have thought of him in a million years, I think you're right. Fraser would be another excellent choice.
To be fair, the Fraser suggestion wasn't mine, it came from a guy I worked with who'd written a X3 fan script the summer the movie came out. I say this in all honesty, having read quite a bit of fan fiction, it was better than most features, and dealt with the Hellfire Club rather than Dark Phoenix.
Some of the guy's suggestions for the other roles were pretty interesting, he suggested Ryan Philippe for Angel, Mel Gibson as Sebastian Shaw, Catherine Zeta Jones as the Black Queen, Christopher Walken as the White King, Nicole Kidman (though I saw Naomi Watts) as the White Queen, John Goodman as Leland, and he brought back that guy from X2 as Mastermind (Wyngard being his mother's maiden name in the 'verse).
Anyway, the Beast and Angel (as well as a younger Collosus and Shadowcat) were both in it, and that's what made me think of it.
Whereas I've never seen the Beast as particularly short, per se, more prone to walking around like a gorilla, hunched.
But I understand your point. I've just seen Johnson in enough stuff, from Sat Night live to Be Cool, to think he could pull it off. He's an actor, seems to me, and not just a celebrity who sepaks lines in movies.
Despite his iconic wrestling status, the guy has performance chops that are just as good as James Marsden, and even Alan Cumming.
Post a Comment
<< Home