Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Pattern Emerges *UPDATED*

Posted by codemorse

Update:

I've added a truncated version of this post to Libertas' site. You can read it here.

Original Post:

While poking around our archives in search of posts for the new "Best of Codemorse" section I came across an argument I'd had with a member of Libertas, the "conservative" film site. I'd been making the point that the word "terrorism" can be liberally applied, depending on your motivations for doing so.

This was a looooooong argument, marked by logic and common sense on my end, along with laughable personal attacks by the "conservative" who chose to engage me.

I'd have made that argument a link in the "Best of Codemorse," but I can't. Want to know why?

Because they've erased me.

If you click that link, you'll be directed to the comments page where I made my argument. You can still read a.acacia's responses to me, and you can see Scott, a regular here at Codemorse, stepping in occasionally to defend or clarify me.

What you won't see are any of my posts. They've been summarily deleted. With the exception of the first posts I made, my argument has vamoosed. This isn't the first time Libertas has decided to erase what they don't agree with. A discussion on Tim Robbins and George Orwell's 1984 resulted in my comments disappearing, then mysteriously reappearing after I posted about it here.

First, Debbie Schlussel decides that my AIDS statistics are inconvenient. So she deletes me. Now, Libertas has decided that my argument was too offensive for the eyes of anyone who bothers surfing the archives of conservative film sites.

But they can't erase my presence entirely without also deleting acacia and Scott's posts. Take a look and then let Libertas know what you think of cowards.

9 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous MattM said...

I'll note that Jason Apuzzo wrote this in May:

http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/?p=1629

"Comments are never put in the moderation bin for ideological reasons; I don’t have remotely the time to do that, let alone the inclination. And our regular readers who are liberals know that they’re perfectly free to post here - as is everyone - so long as basic decorum is maintained."

Somebody's got some questions to answer, it seems.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

As with all things, actions speak louder than words.

Thanks for stopping by, matt. Unlike Libertas, we stand by our commitment to personal expression. The moment you insult someone personally/threaten someone, you're outta here; outside of that, anyone's welcome to speak their mind.

It's a free country. At least, we think it should be.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

That's some crazy stuff right there/

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Wesley said...

I've stopped commenting on their site as of last week after i found out they deleted a certain post of mine. I asked them if they really more interested in having films be good or more with films being conservative. Stating the fact they have praised crap like Tlyer Perry and Larry the Cable Guy. This is also painfully obivious when Jason goes off on Superman and other "mindless comic book films" but gives a free pass to the amazingly shitty X3 and Fantastic Four(if you look up the films writers you'll understand why)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Hmmm..What is it about those film's writers, wesley?

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Wesley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Wesley said...

Whoops! I ment producers or er producer. Ralph Winter, a Christian conservative. It seems LIBERTAS will praise almost any film as long as it promotes a "conservative" point of view. I get visiously attacked every time I comment on the board. You can't say anything remotely liberal on the board without being called a terroist or a traitor. Geez and I thought I was on the center of the political spectrum. And while defending myself I also got caught up in the name calling myself, sadly, and I am ashamed for it, but I guess that kind of atmosphere feeds that type of behavior. Love your blog by the way.(The William Atherton example you give in your defense for V For Vendetta was funny as well as brillant.) Stop by my blog sometimes. Its a little rough around the edges but give me a few weeks I'll work out the kinks. ;-)

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Thanks, Wes. I appreciate your kind words, and I'm glad you like the V For Vendetta article (it'll be in the Best of Codemorse section, coming soon).

And we're pretty good about mutual support here. I'll b sure to pop by your blog. Feel free to come by and weight in on the issues (or just on entertainment) here at Codemorse. Unless you get personal, you;ll never be censored or deleted.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous MattM said...

I guess you saw that I'm being accused of being you over there now. Which, actually, is not the first time that's happened.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home