Monday, July 10, 2006

Arrrr, Matey

Posted by codemorse

Well, that settles it - I have no taste. If you listen to the critics, that is.

Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest is rip-roarin' fun in the style of an 80's fantasy-adventure. I mean that in the very best way possible.

Having seen the film and read the reviews I can confirm that once again all the nit-picky stuff everyone else seems to have hated simply didn't matter to me. The "non-ending"? I have no idea what people are complaining about. The lack of time spent on the development of character? That's a strange complaint, given how much each character's individual arc progresses here.

None of those criticisms ring particularly true to me. Mostly, it's because I was generally too busy having fun to notice any of that. Pirates is the sort of film I wish they'd made twenty years ago, when I would have utterly freaked out at the endlessly inventive parade of bizarre monster fish and scurrilous piratical types and demanded an immediate trip to Toys R Us. It's a gloriously unabashed kids movie with every stop pulled out.

And there's nothing wrong with that. If you're looking for high-adventure and a return to the quality fantasy fare of the 1980's (see: Neverending Story, Indiana Jones, the Goonies, etc, et al) then you're probably going to love you some Dead Man's Chest (why does that sound so creepy?). Granted, my enjoyment was undoubtably boosted by seeing the film with my brother, who taught me later that evening what it means to throw down like a man and drink til you're setting off fireworks.

But apparently, you've already seen this, so no convincing is necessary. Jesus, did this thing make money.

3 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Ben Miro said...

If ever there was something completely and totally critic-proof...

God, I loved this movie. It's like someone dipped into the 8-year old that lives in my brain and mined him for cinema gold. Giant attacking squid, check! Octapuss faced badguy, aye-aye capn! Hammerhead Shark Man, Ho Yo Mofo! I totally went straight to Target to find a Hammerhead Shark Man action fig (DENIED!).

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That was a banger!" Yee haw!
-Adam

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger codemorse said...

Heh.

I'll never look at Aladdin the same way again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home