Monday, June 19, 2006

Lawn Noam

Noam Chomsky, speaking at West Point?

To hear some self-described liberals talk about it, you'd think that this country had already ceded entirely to sinister and Orwellian masters. I'm guilty of some of this myself, but I'm also (or so I like to delude myself) an optomist.

Reading news like this makes me smile. Because, once again, the very institution that most liberals fear most has chosen to engage and consider some pretty contro-damn-versial thought.

At least, it's controversial to hear some self-described cons tell it. Personally, I think that if you've actually read any Chomsky it's fairly obvious that controversial isn't the right word. Thought-provoking, infuriating and blindingly intelligent, sure. Controversial? Only if you're the type of person who'd rather ban the act of flag-burning than ever have to suffer the eye-bleeding horror that is a symbolic act.

But then, if you were that sort of person, you'd have already clicked away from here by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home