Tuesday, January 17, 2006

LiberDross

Want to have the fun sucked right out of the moviegoing experience?

Have I got a site for you.

Hollywood’s awards season was once a kind of enjoyable horse race between films that everyone had seen and developed strong opinions about. Instead, awards like the Oscars and Golden Globes have now become marketing ploys for small, predominantly left-wing, ’specialty’ films that very few people have even seen.

Oh, wait, I also hear the Golden Globes were last night. I only know that because Govindini and I had dinner Sunday night with a charming person who happens to be one of the show’s producers. [We will not disclose this person’s name, to protect the innocent.] Here’s a link if you’re interested in who took home the statuettes. Since I’m trying to keep the readership high here at LIBERTAS - and since nobody out there’s actually seen the films honored - I’m afraid I can’t invest much time in blogging about all this.

Y'know, for a site that seems to want to be of "The People," Libertas is remarkably elitist. God forbid you be pointed toward films you might not otherwise have known about. It's not as if other awards shows don't exist to shower unnecessary praise upon "The People's" choices.

And I don't understand the point of politicizing film (which Libertas does ad nauseum), unless the film in question is explicitly political. Sites like Libertas seem to thrive off of shadow-boxing. Where there isn't a subtext to dicuss, they simply create one. The irony being, of course, that Libertas is Latin for "Freedom," which the site's author appears to advocate only when it aligns with his stringently explicated political views.

8 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous jummy said...

"God forbid you be pointed toward films you might not otherwise have known about."

how could one have avoided being aware of syriana or brokeback?

is this the standard progressive equasion of "dissagreement with me equals ignorance" in operation?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Actually if you mentioned Syriana in the cafeteria were I work most people would probably scratch their heads and if they did know about it they probably wouldn't be able to give you a synopsis. And all most people know about BBM is that it's a "gay cowboy movie".

And Libertas is the one that said "nobody out there’s actually seen the films honored".

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous jummy said...

morse spoke of films that one "might not otherwise have known about."

the test for this isn't whether someone who may not even own a tv or read the lifestyle section has heard of them, but whether they have been given top billing where movies are typically reviewed or discussed.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

The majority of people get their information from the television, I would wager. Perhaps by winning an award on a nationally televised show the films in question will be brought more into the public view and the people will be pointed towards them in a positive way.

As it stands now most folks in the mainstream probably couldn't tell you what critics on some website or major newspaper think about Memoirs of a Geisha or Capote. People may have known of their existence, but weren't really "informed" about them. I think that's what Morse is saying.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous jummy said...

well, i guess we'll just have to rely on your post facto defensive inferrences.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Why do that, when we can rely on your boundless reserves of pissiness?

Cap's been polite and reserved with you, Jummy. I'd be an adult and follow suit.

Cap, that's very much what I'm saying. The difference in awareness between a film like Syriana and one like Star Wars (The Libertas review of that was interesting and well-written)is enormous.

Disagreement with me doesn't equal ignorance, Jummy. In fact, much of the time it signifies an ability to think for yourself - which any reader of Codemorse could tell you is the point of this blog.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous jummy said...

i've not been anything but polite and well tempered here. perhaps you're reading something into what i write that isn't there. it's possible, you have to admit.

i may be guilty of the same thing. on the libertas blog, you enjoined all of us who disagree with you by snarking that we probably haven't read the material we were discussing. the example i pointed out here seemed to me to form apattern, but maybe its more of a hiccup?

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Maybe so. In any event, I'm certainly not reading anything nasty into what you're saying now.

I can be a little sarcastic. I regard my postings as a fusion of my thoughts and a desire to play with language. I was sincere when I said I didn't intend any real offense with my post, and I remain sincere about not being a guy who thrives off internet hate-baiting.

So let's both shake and make up, shall we? I've got nothing against you, just irritation at the percieved tone of your prior posts.

Understand that my biggest pet peeve on codemorse is in keeping a civil tone. Snark, sarcasm, and free-association are all welcome here, in the context of actual debate. But if I think the posts are getting personal, I become intolerant.

You're welcome at Codemorse any time, and I invite you to share your thoughts. Just be polite about it, and we'll both enjoy it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home