Thursday, December 22, 2005

Even Stevens

From the Washington Post:

Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska, battered all week for using the defense spending bill to force through a home-state oil drilling provision, delivered an emotional plea to his colleagues as the Senate prepared to vote on the legislation....

For 25 years, Stevens, 82, has tried to secure federal permission to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a remote wilderness area in Alaska's northeast corner. This week, he attached the provision to the fiscal 2006 defense appropriations bill, which also includes hurricane relief funding, and threatened to keep the Senate in session through the holidays until Democrats and moderate Republicans dropped their procedural objections and allowed the bill, with the drilling provision, to pass.

But last night, when the Senate voted to strike the drilling provision, Stevens did not take it well. "This has been the saddest day of my life," he said. "It's a day I don't want to remember. I say goodbye to the Senate tonight. Thank you very much."

I'd say we'll miss you, Senator, but attaching a provision to the defense appropriations bill that allows for the desecration of what is one of the few unspoiled places left on American soil makes it easier to say goodbye to you.

Stevens, as you may remember, is also the man responsible for pushing for funds to build "the bridge to nowhere" (not to be confused with the bridge to Terabithia).

6 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

I'm no fan of Stevens, but it seems like you've been hitting the Democratic cool aid a little hard here, no?

"allows for the desecration of what is one of the few unspoiled places left on American soil..."

Really?

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Really, Nizz. It IS possible to hold a belief without it being political at all, you know. ;)

I've got no idea what the Democratic stance on the Wildlife Refuge is, actually. I just no that some places on this earth should be left untouched.

If anything, my belief's inspired by Teddy Roosevelt's philosophy on the necessity of wilderness.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

And that's "know." Not "no."

Spelling vexes me.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Perhaps. Perhaps. I'm as big a fan as any of the wilderness. Actually, that's not true, I don't really care for the wilderness. However, it appears to me, and I may be mistaken, that this issue has been far more politicized than it's really worth.

Like, the drilling would impact something like .01% of the wilderness. And drilling would provide us with .01% of our oil. And we're spending 15% of our time talking about it. [Note: Percentages are merely an impression, not a matter of fact.]

That being said, my feelings toward Stevens would incline me to vote against anything he wants, even if he wanted to pass a resolution that kicking puppies is bad. [Note: I think kicking puppies is bad.]

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger codemorse said...

Whereas I relish a good puppy-kick. It's like sex, but with more violence.

Some things just aren't political to me. Or, at least, I believe my opinion to be wholly unmotivated by politics.

Untouched means untouched. On .01 percent or on 50 percent. We shouldn't be talking about it at all. Leave it alone. That's the be-all and end-all of my opinion on the subject.

And I think it's slimy to put the provision into a defense appropriations bill.

Have you seen the footage of Stevens on the floor of the Senate, barking "NO!"?

It's pretty funny.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Jabawacefti said...

Haven't seen the footage, but I would like to at some point.

You like the wilderness untouched, huh? Just like your women.

Hee hee.

Hey, I bought a house. Call me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home