Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving Thanks

As Thanksgiving rolls around, and I prepare to enter a Tryptophan-induced hibernation that will help to complete my transformation from mortal blogger to ageless global conqueror, my thoughts turn to Africa, and to the massive poverty and famine there.

In a season where we routinely stuff ourselves to the point of belt-expansion, I can't help but feel a little...excessive. Maybe we can't solve the world's problems, but we can do our tiny part in the Great Scheme of Things. We can take small steps toward Good Works, taking them because it is right to do so. I'm asking my family to make donations to any of the following organizations in lieu of spending twenty bucks on something else. Is it a lot of money? No. But it's a step in the right direction.

I don't pretend to know much about charities or relief organizations, but the following groups strike me as being non-partisan, noble, and sincere.

Oxfam

www.oxfam.org

UNICEF

www.unicef.org

International Federation of the Red Cross

www.ifrc.org

Why not donate this week's coffee money to a worthy cause? We can't solve problems by throwing money at them, but we can help to ease the suffering of people who don't deserve the hand they're dealt.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Scott Roche said...

Speaking of charities, http://wrandomwramblings.blogspot.com/2005/11/missionaries-kicked-out-of-venezuela.html comments?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home